To determine whether a mushroom is edible or not, time is one factor worth considering.
A mushroom that has been eaten for centuries with few adverse events reported is a mushroom that most people would consider to be edible.
On the other hand, a mushroom with a centuries-old reputation of being toxic is certainly a mushroom whose edibility should be called into serious question, even in modern times.
But not all mushrooms fit neatly into those two categories.
Take the Yellow Knight, for instance.
The Yellow Knight is a wild mushroom that had been safely eaten for centuries. In the 1990s, however, consumption of the Yellow Knight suddenly and unexpectedly became linked to multiple human poisonings. Some of these poisonings resulted in death.
During a recent walk through a pine forest, I encountered the infamous Yellow Knight mushroom. After careful consideration, I decided to harvest the mushroom and cook it, and in the following video I explain why I would do such a thing.
If you are interested in learning more about a common yet controversial fall mushroom, check out the brand new video!
Deeper into the forest full of Yellow Knight mushrooms, this wildflower was blossoming under red pine trees. Known as Yellow Ladies’ Tresses, this orchid is involved in a tangled web of specialized relationships. Check out this recent Instagram post to learn more.Click to view post
Thanks for reading and watching, and thanks for your continued support!